Teen Titans Legacy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Teen Titans Legacy

A RPG (Role Playing Game) based shortly after the original Teen Titans TV series. Choose or create a character and get stuck in the action!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» Beacon (S.O.S)
JaK's Moderator Application; Verdict Icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:45 pm by Pax

» Activity Check
JaK's Moderator Application; Verdict Icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2023 6:38 pm by AlexisOrange

» Green Jay
JaK's Moderator Application; Verdict Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2023 12:57 pm by Simca

» The Unholy and The Devine (JaK)
JaK's Moderator Application; Verdict Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2022 3:46 pm by RYUU

» Ghost Town (Open)
JaK's Moderator Application; Verdict Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2022 4:19 pm by Hellbreaker

» Hero 4 Hire (Dar)
JaK's Moderator Application; Verdict Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2022 9:41 pm by Dar

» The Witcher: Rebirth
JaK's Moderator Application; Verdict Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2021 7:20 pm by JaK

» A Chance Encounter (Simca)
JaK's Moderator Application; Verdict Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2021 5:04 pm by Simca

» Nightwing (WIP)
JaK's Moderator Application; Verdict Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2021 3:43 pm by Simca

Top posting users this week
No user
Top posting users this month
No user
Who is online?
In total there are 101 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 101 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 883 on Mon May 24, 2021 8:15 am
Top posters
Energy
JaK's Moderator Application; Verdict Vote_lcapJaK's Moderator Application; Verdict Voting_barJaK's Moderator Application; Verdict Vote_rcap 
Moon
JaK's Moderator Application; Verdict Vote_lcapJaK's Moderator Application; Verdict Voting_barJaK's Moderator Application; Verdict Vote_rcap 
Kyte
Hellbreaker
Pikazard
Emmz
Ixen
Hotwire
Megalomaniac
Bow

JaK's Moderator Application; Verdict

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Emblem
Infinimagus on Fire
Infinimagus on Fire
Emblem

RPG character
Name:
Code Name: Emblem
Villain or good guy?: Good

JaK's Moderator Application; Verdict Empty
PostSubject: JaK's Moderator Application; Verdict   JaK's Moderator Application; Verdict Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 6:13 pm

It's been some time since JaK has done a moderator application. After the first post he gave, I replied as soon as possible (since I was in the middle of some extremely tough examinations).

I can only hope that each member who reads this will read it through to the end. A fair warning given: This might take some time. JaK had invited me to discuss this amongst those in power, and think about it with an open mind. Logically I did, but that took quite a while. It was also common logic to talk this over with Simca.

(End note: Even typing did. All my thoughts, extremely shortened still took me about 2 and a half hours or so.)

When I first replied to JaK's request, I said I found his 2069 word Moderator Application interesting. Not only because it had been a few weeks at most since he had left, but also because his first comeback post was an application. Leaving with a farewell thread, which reflected his thoughts at that time, then coming back with a mod-request is one thing. Counter-productive. I did take any comment about this into account. Some say it's positive, some say it was negative. It does not matter to me, the factual application is what I should address. Further replies such as 'I had it in my Favorites anyway' are also not counted. Counter-productive however, since it diminishes any heartfelt expressed sympathy for this site and it's members.

It's weird to read how you care for these people after you leave using words how you were ridiculed or denied things by them. It also does not help to just end your current RPs as you did. Furthermore, it also seemed a clear shot at me as you were addressing Emblem and Simca multiple times. I do not hold this against you, for I could understand why. It's a past matter, the application is more relevant.

I've read through it multiple times, making sure I would understand each and every word JaK said. Understanding would mean more then just knowing what the words mean. After reading it time and time again, and reading every reply that followed, my mind could not really decide. A change of events, and replies both in favor and against, kept influencing my decision. A million things crossed my mind over the days, but I find it prudent to reply now, or else I will keep pondering until either the site broke down or I break down due to old age. Whichever comes first.

This lead me to state some things I want to see in my moderators. What do I think is important? Why did I pick Simca as a moderator, and why do I allow Krious to use my powers to mod? Let me first state that Krious is NOT a moderator. He has reviewed and approved some applications because he felt it was necessary; at that time it was. He uses my account to properly do said approval. Yes, it does take more then one reply to allow entrance to the boards. Would Krious not be able to properly do this, then I would never allow this.

To me, an individual is the sum of his/her actions.

In order to broaden my perspective, I had to analyze JaK's application once more. I had to look at it from multiple angles, in order to be fair. It took me some days, but I had looked over it, as well as the reactions to it. I praise JaK for writing this much to apply for moderator. Let that be one. It had a acceptable reading structure, and he had written enough for me to seriously consider his application. That is saying something, it does not happen much. In my analysis, I kept JaK's goal in mind.

In the text itself, I easily spotted his reasoning to do what he did. He had valid points for his claim, and as with everyone, he had some that I found less valid. I would like to start off with the invalid points, for I find them minor, and easily dealt with if addressed shortly. JaK's actual text will be bold. Bear in mind that this all influenced my opinion, making it worth to note down, yet everyone has their own flaws. I'm not coming down on JaK here, as I said, these point are minor in my book.

''It would seem many of you thought I was still feeling a little hurt over the Roster Thread and no, I have completely forgiven that and there's no hard feelings there.''
While this was regarding your Farewell thread, I find it understandably why people thought you were feeling hurt. The title might have said enough in that regard. The entire thread itself is one big block of text stating how you did not get your accolades for done services, how Emblem is acts like an absolute monarch. The feeling this thread gives is quite sad, as if you never want to deal with us again. As I mentioned it was counter-productive to link this to your application.

''...the Worries & Happenin Places thread seems to share my concerns I felt it was time to make a more detailed account of what I meant in my farewell address.''
I had already understood what you tried to say in your farewell thread. I honestly did. It's the fact that I've been RPing for about 7 years now that allows me to see flaws in every system. I've been in several systems, but my reasoning for this system is solid. That is for another time however. Fact is, you link Honest's Worries thread to this one. I have already stated my reply on that thread. I understand the concern, but I do not find it has any good ground for it's claim as well. If anything is not going to happen, it's me logging in 'because I have to'. As expressed, I have a multitude of factors that keep me busy, and being an Admin is not a part time job. If people get anxious/impatient after 24 hours of non-posting, then the site might just be doing it's thing a bit too well.

For those who want to read my reply in full:
https://ttrpg.forumotion.com/t688p15-worries-and-happenin-places

''The main failure in most roleplay sites is indeed inactivity, where people just get bored of roleplaying and stop, citing that life has robbed them of their ability to do so. With this site in particular, authoritive inactivity is stopping app approval.''
Life has already stopped me from roleplaying multiple times, and I absolutely concur this is what happens to most roleplay sites in general. However, inactivity is something that happens to every member, be it thanks to the phenomenon called life or more technical difficulties. Moderators and Admins might also experience such things, and as there is no legal things to force them to stay (as per say a job contract) this might happen. Getting more moderators would not solve this problem. If I have ever met someone dedicated it's Simca, and she was inactive due to technical difficulties. Dedication is no set factor in inactivity. Getting more mods might be a solution, but it might also not.

''Approval and feedback should take no longer than a few days at most, a week is pushing it and months is just purely unheard of.''
Although I agree again, getting more moderators might not solve this problem directly. If you get more moderators for character approval, the Balance rule would have to be checked even more careful to avoid discussion which might happen anyway. There is no set time limit for approval. The Balancing act will also be pressured if we allow certain members to do this, as proposed later on. If a new character has not been reviewed in a month, then did I forget it, did not notice it or did the posting identity forgot to reply to it or PM me? Or later on, did they not do as I told them? The rules state that un-updated applications are moved to the Graveyard within 2 weeks of no response by the application's owner.

''Now I fully understand that Emblem and Simca are busy and have work, schooling and lives….Yet, so do we and if were willing to take the time from our lives and busy schedules to make the characters and write the applications. Moderator and Admin, who have accepted the burden and responsibility of reading the apps we make should be held to the same responsibilities. ''
Such a powerful statement. I could write pages analyzing these few sentences, but I will keep it short. I have never accepted any burden or responsibility. Simca did however, showing her determination to support this site. As such, her inactivity can only be described as sad and unfortunate, seeing how she tries to help me in virtually everything I do as Admin. Why I do not qualify myself as a good admin is a more mathematical thing. I need to work at least 10 hours a week to be able to pay for college, with weeks of about 40 hours during holidays. Furthermore, college takes up between 10 and 30 hours. Currently, I'm not participating in an internship, I'd have to add another 20 hours otherwise. I have successfully put together my own football team, which takes up about 5 hours a week in training and the actual match, not including regular meetings with the Board of Directors. Those are some of the things I can be held responsible to. I haven't mentioned sleeping, eating, traveling times and wanting to relax every now and again.

There is no way a member could hold me responsible for forgetting something or overlooking something because I had to do one of the above things. Justify trying to hold me responsible for not being an Admin while I was teaching children, or working to establish a future. This quoted statement also mirrors writing an application against reviewing it...and all the other Admin things. This alone is a bit crooked.

''I fully respect that, but in all seriousness…..It’s time for a change.''
''I have ran many RPG’s in my time, many were year long successes. I have brought many active and quality roleplayers to this site; such as Josh, Crazy Moon & AJ which I can and will continue to do so.''
''And even though I may bump heads a bit, generally everything I do is to try and help improve the site as much as possible.''
''with a successfully put together Titans Team consisting mainly of QUALITY roleplayers that have been with me for years and still continue to be active for this community after I left; showing their true dedication. Even my App approvals, which many members now request from me because of the quickness and detail of my responses. ''

This is a snippet of multiple comments. They arouse more questions then answer them in my book. Is it time for a change? Which RPG's did you run? As it is now, I believe you on your word, but I have no proof. You state you have brought many quality roleplayers to the site. And that you generally try to help and improve the site. Do you have to be a mod to continue to do this?

Quality is a very debatable word. One of my older RP sites would not allow a post below 1000 words. Every post would be checked and removed if it had too many flaws. I do not have a set quality for this site. I can post 1000 words per post, but I know not everyone is able to. Later on in the application you say you are consistent. Leaving and coming back is not consistent. It is also stated that Simca would come back, but stating she might just leave again. Yes this might happen, but it can happen to everyone. Whenever you have something important to do, a RP site falls to the second or even lower place. It's a normal thing to do. Simca had no way to log in, explaining her case. Her dedication is unquestioned, as the first thing she did upon returning was reviewing people.

'' I find it’s decreasing in activity; which goes hand in hand with quality''
My last comment on any quality based statements. A decrease in activity does not go hand in hand with quality. It might even increase quality as people are trying hard to make good stories, to get people to reply to them. Another moderator would not solve this problem even if it was as you say.

''Now I know you would prefer for just Simca and or you and Krious to do this, but the fact is that this system currently is not efficient and the site is suffering for it.''
Situational claim. Simca is back, and Krious had patched a few things in her and my absence. The system is going swell as it is. Every site had ups and downs, with downs mostly being things during summertime and such. I wonder how you lot would handle this summer, if I'm off to my holiday destination. What if Simca had gone on a holiday at the same time I went to Dublin? I highly doubt any system is efficient as every system needs people to manage it. If members are allowed to approve applications, but in the end still need my approval, then what's the use? It would still fail if I was absent, and if members get a say first, might offend a new member or would let things slip because they know said roleplayer. There's no guarantee for neutrality anywhere, even less when more people have a say.

''The main idea is to just have the power to act upon ‘needs’ myself, so that when Emblem or Simca or Krious is too busy to do so once I have the go-ahead from Emmy, I can just take care of whatever the problem is or address it and there will not be a huge hoopla or argument on if I have the authority.''
A huge hoopla will be there at every action you take as an Admin or a Moderator. Trust me on this. There has not been a single decision I made that has not been questioned. And if you get an argument as a member, but not as a mod, then does this mean it's not there? A Moderator status would only be a mallet to slam anyone who opposes. I do not think it's something notable, but it is possible.

Other parts state JaK would go back into retirement if not given Moderator status. I do not even quote these sentences, as they cannot be called anything but irrelevant. I do not know if JaK would stop if not given Moderator status, but that is solely up to him. If he wants to stay, he stays, if not, he leaves. Since he can still stay when he is not a mod, this has nothing to do with my decision. Seeing Ben10 is back into actions, I wonder if he will leave. I personally (out of Admin-ness) hope he will stay, as he has personally told me he liked to Roleplay here.

Unfortunately, so is the claim that he is the site's nr 2 poster. this list in the left of everyone's screen is simply a number of posts you made. Xzuk is number one because he's made so many OOC posts, and even some of his RP posts were one sentence. (No offense Xzuk, as I said, there's no Quality bar here!) It's something that's there for fun with no implication in TTRPG activities.

Too bad his T-tower idea is not an option to implement. I liked it very much. Tower Leaders getting to manage the rooms ans stuff. Unfortunately, only those with Admin rights can edit the rooms as they are sub-categories of the board. If any Tower Leader reads this, PM me how it is supposed to be; I'll fix it immediately. I suck at managing Towers, and won't ever deny that.

As per balancing the scale, there are also a few features regarding JaK that speak for him when applying for moderator. JaK strives for a certain grade of quality. While not a 1000-word post yet, it's always something to set a bar for yourself and others and help them get there. JaK strives for just that. He has as stated brought in members, tried to help everyone and has been a roleplayer with good quality himself. JaK has also attempted to sort some things out that weren't clear to others, and has willingly replies to applications when asked to. If he keeps doing so, I hope he adds (Asked to) in front of his text so we know and can remember it. His actions also keeps other members sharp, whether they concur or not. Basically, he would be very good at doing exactly the same things Simca does.

The fact that JaK has butted heads in several discussions with me might also be noted as a positive thing. Krious knocks some sense into me all the time, as does Simca. However, what differs is the way of reasoning. While expressing viewpoints, JaK is so dedicated to his cause that any argument set against his view is possibly damaging. It's why words such as respect or disrespect come up a lot. I never feel disrespected on TTRPG. My opinion is my own, and I express it. My personal feelings play no part in this. But to JaK, he's so dedicated it might... And it sticks. He even addressed it in his application, while stating he does not have hard feelings.

What struck me was the way in which all this happened. A more proper approach in my eyes would be to re-establish yourself as a member, or PM me and discuss the situation in a proper manner. The thread you made now, with that coming-back-approach triggered a lot of reactions... It confused me a little. You seemed to ask for opinions but after a few posts, I did not like what I read anymore. It seemed to go towards a silly and pointless discussion, with Kinzey saving my sanity and throwing in some dire needed sense.

JaK's abilities make him worthy of being a moderator. I truly believe that. All the previous stated good things do not obstruct him, however, the situation at that time of application were different from how they are now. I had been very busy with college, having to complete my Dublin/Irish research while working full shift, and hearing some very unpleasant news regarding a few family members. Simca had been experiencing technical difficulties, and had only been able to slip me one PM saying she's trying her best to get back online. Krious passed by, aiding the approval of some members who direly needed it. Yes, in this state, we needed a new moderator. However, now that Simca is back, and I have been somewhat more active, TTRPG has moved out of this down-period, and is going as well, if not better, as always.

I would like to praise JaK on the fact that he got my mind to almost split a straight 50/50 in a yay/nay ratio, on his succeeded attempt at keeping the site sharp, and on his way of reasoning in said topic. It's been many a days since I've seen anyone apply for moderator like that. I do have to disappoint you, I currently foresee no real hole that needs to be filled with another mod. However, I will not forget your name when this site grows even bigger and those holes might appear. I have (logically) talked this over with Simca on multiple occasions, and she believes you are quite suitable as well as qualified, but agrees with me that there's no real use for a new moderator now. I do however, think it's a bit of a bummer. I've refused many people on many sites who thought they were suitable, but were not. You are suitable, yet the position isn't open yet. Your goal of keeping the site sharp and improving it however, has been achieved and will keep doing so in the future.

With that, I want to relay a message to all of you. Be patient. Whenever someone replies to your thread, do not go off in arguments. Think about it, think about what they are saying. What do they mean? Don't dive back in with a vengeance, think twice, and try to see their goals. JaK has been helping many of members in his own way, positive stimulating them to post. The reactions to the topic are divided, but I find most think high of him. I want everyone to think before they act. JaK's goal is to make TTRPG even better, to improve it. His goal in that sense is reached, for I will be implementing more and more things to get it to run smoothly, even when I am absent. Do realize this is a human that typed this message, as is every other member. Humans have ups and downs, and TTRPG follows. Next time when your Rping is down, look up. It might just be JaK (and others may follow) trying to help you. In that case, take the helping hand, don't try to bite it off.

This topic will be locked. If anyone has comments and think they are relevant, PM them to me.
Back to top Go down

JaK's Moderator Application; Verdict
Page 1 of 1