Teen Titans Legacy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Teen Titans Legacy

A RPG (Role Playing Game) based shortly after the original Teen Titans TV series. Choose or create a character and get stuck in the action!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» Beacon (S.O.S)
A Megalomaniac's Guide to Combat Icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:45 pm by Pax

» Activity Check
A Megalomaniac's Guide to Combat Icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2023 6:38 pm by AlexisOrange

» Green Jay
A Megalomaniac's Guide to Combat Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2023 12:57 pm by Simca

» The Unholy and The Devine (JaK)
A Megalomaniac's Guide to Combat Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2022 3:46 pm by RYUU

» Ghost Town (Open)
A Megalomaniac's Guide to Combat Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2022 4:19 pm by Hellbreaker

» Hero 4 Hire (Dar)
A Megalomaniac's Guide to Combat Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2022 9:41 pm by Dar

» The Witcher: Rebirth
A Megalomaniac's Guide to Combat Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2021 7:20 pm by JaK

» A Chance Encounter (Simca)
A Megalomaniac's Guide to Combat Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2021 5:04 pm by Simca

» Nightwing (WIP)
A Megalomaniac's Guide to Combat Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2021 3:43 pm by Simca

Top posting users this week
No user
Top posting users this month
No user
Who is online?
In total there are 108 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 108 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 883 on Mon May 24, 2021 8:15 am
Top posters
Energy
A Megalomaniac's Guide to Combat Vote_lcapA Megalomaniac's Guide to Combat Voting_barA Megalomaniac's Guide to Combat Vote_rcap 
Moon
A Megalomaniac's Guide to Combat Vote_lcapA Megalomaniac's Guide to Combat Voting_barA Megalomaniac's Guide to Combat Vote_rcap 
Kyte
Hellbreaker
Pikazard
Emmz
Ixen
Hotwire
Megalomaniac
Bow

A Megalomaniac's Guide to Combat

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Megalomaniac
Ωmega-class Metahuman
Ωmega-class Metahuman
Megalomaniac

RPG character
Name:
Code Name:
Villain or good guy?: Neutral

A Megalomaniac's Guide to Combat Empty
PostSubject: A Megalomaniac's Guide to Combat   A Megalomaniac's Guide to Combat Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2019 6:03 pm

So to begin, like with the guidelines to creating a character, this will not be a perfect and precise "thou shall nots." It's just MY observations of how combat has gone so far in recent time, and my thoughts on the matter alongside some guidelines I think will help everyone try to get the most out fighting with their character(s). It's a Superhero v Supervillain, Good v Evil rpg forum. People are bound to fight each other eventually. Before getting too far, let's go over some of the actual rules that support what I'm about to talk about.

Godmodding
This is the term used to describe typed out actions by individuals that makes other characters do or say things that's unlike them, and/or without their consent. You are not allowed to force any character you do not own to perform any action without their consent.

Powerplaying
This term has a slight overlap with Godmodding, but it's meaning is slightly different. While we try to keep a balance in characters to make sure there's still some growth possible and there's no unfair edge they can have, there will always be situations where one character is stronger then the other. Powerplaying basically is a series of actions done by your characters that completely dominates or obliterates your opponent, such as beating them down without any possible escape, defensive mechanism or counterattack possible. Again, without consent of your opponent. Whatever you attempt, your opponent must have the ability to react or do something.

Ninjadodging/Juggernautting
This term and Juggernautting are almost direct opposites of Powerplaying and Godmodding, but they are still quite illegal regarding roleplay activities. Ninjadodging refers to a character dodging everything that is thrown at him, time and time again. I would not think any opponent would still want to RP with such an adversary after two posts of Ninjadodging, but it's unrealistic as well. No character can see every attack coming, and dodge every single one of them, possibly even counter-attacking.

Juggernautting is almost the same as Ninjadodging. It's where a character either takes all the attacks thrown at him (and not even be fazed, nor have any damage).
~I changed the name because I can~

So in no specific order; Starting with Ninjadodging/Juggernautting: let me first say that I do not subscribe to the mentality of "I let you hit me, so I should be allowed to hit you." If it's unrealistic for someone to dodge/tank everything, how is it any more believable for a "Master Martial Artist" to trade blows with someone with no combat training at all? How is it believable that a predictable attack that has missed two times, will hit on the third? This mentality that someone should gimp their character just because you either don't want to try, or simply can't think of how to write out a post to out manuever or make it remotely believable, nullifies the need for characters to have "exceptional" skills.

If everyone just took turns smacking eachother, no one would need to have "Exceptional Martial Artist." They would purely be character floof. A more "viable" example would be two opponents of relative skill. "Bob throws a flurry of punches at Steve."

"Steve slowly backs away, using his stubby hands and arms to deflect or block the onslaught, ignoring the pain of the blows crashing against his stubby arms. Waiting for an opening, Steve launches an uppercut but feints into a rising back kick!"

Now depending on precisely how observant Bob is, this Feint is being set up to try and catch Bob off guard. Steve did react to the onslaught by taking alittle damage without letting himself be floored, so going with the "taking turns" mentality means he is guaranteed to hit. Right? Seems fair.

But now let's assume that Steve has 0 combat training, and is the one to attack Bob, who has "Master of Martial Arts" as their power, with an onslaught of attacks using his little nub limbs. Steve was also previously kicked like a soccer ball. So "taking turns" would indicate that Steve should be allowed to hit with his onslaught of unskilled, unaimed, and generally haphazardly thrown attacks. Right? Is THAT fair? Is that realistic? No it's not.

Again I will say, that I personally am not of the mindset. Though the "take turns punching eachother" aproach is supported by the "ninjadodging" rule, and is debunked by "Juggernautting." So it is implied that combat is alittle more complicated than trying to be 50/50 all of the time. You are still free to do this if you want, these are just guidelines. How you want combat to be resolved can be decided any number of ways, just talk about it with those involved.

Godmodding
As for the matter of godmodding, it can be boiled down to this: "One player trying to play another player's character." It is for this reason that any powers that remove a player's control is... difficult to come up with a reason to allow. However there is a thin line that some powers can fall into that is barely "acceptable" in my oppinion. A basic example of this is a power that manipulates a character's "emotions" or tries to indirectly influence their mind through some other means. Does trying to make a character feel mad automatically make them lash out angrily? If it were that simple, punching a character in the face should logically make a character mad, and thus lash out angrily.

As long as it does not take away a player's control, it's fine. It walks a very thin line and still needs to open to leave players room to decide HOW their character reacts to what's being done with their emotions.

Powerplaying
Going back to the "removing a player's control or decision," this also pertains to how you word your posts. If for example a character is using a handgun, and your character has eyebeams that you use to shoot the gun, that doesn't give them a chance to decide how to react. Yes, there will be situations where logically the only result should be what you'd expect. But remember the rules against Ninjadodging/Juggernautting? Well, while there isn't a name for it, it should stand to reason that if someone just "cancels" whatever you just did in an absurd way, they're not playing fairly and this should be illegal.

Actual Flow of Combat
So this is the part where I really start to ramble on and on so try to bare with me please. So you've commenced wassling? Your dude wants to punch the other dude in the face, or in some situations beat up the Big Bad? Well we'll be going back to some of the other points mentioned with the current rules so pull up a seat.

Right, so you've found yourself in a battle against NPC enemies. How do you go about dispatching them? Unless otherwise stated or implied, NPCs exist to be played by anyone. If you're up against a vague amount of enemies, no one should be upset with you if you go around cleaning house. That being said, it's not very interesting if you go around one-shotting everything effortlessly. This depends on what kind of enemy you're going against but even Robin has to make alittle effort in taking down normal enemies (the ones that don't stand around and take hits). Against bigger opponents Robin would need even more effort to take them down. And even Superman would have to spend some time beating up a giant monster. If all you do is "Bob throws a car and crushes 5 dudes," then it's not realistic, it's not interesting, and your playing your character like a mary-sue. This excludes "cannonfodder" enemies that again, are vague in number. But you shouln't miss out on a chance to do cool stuff with your character. Unless otherwise stated, go nuts! Have fun with your post! Nothing says you're not interested like "I do a thing that kills 50 dudes."

Now against A BIG enemy, it should come as no surprise that ONE person would not be able to singlehandedly take down such a being. So simply typing, "I throw a thing at the thing" doesn't really do much in any scope of the imagination. If the Giant NPC is free to play, you can again go nuts. Dodge those attacks like a boss, pelt him with counter attacks, and with help you'll down him. Also take into consideration any and all abilities of the Giant NPC in question (when/if available). Is it resistant or immune to fire? Does your character know that? Bottom line, regardless of anything else, you are encouraged to have our character do cool stuff to grab the limelight. If all they're doing is "attack thing" every time, then you're selling them short and don't be surprised that your character doesn't get a moment in the limelight.

Now in PVP battles- this goes back to the aforementioned current rules. Discuss what you want/hope to do during and after the fight. Do you want your character to get shipped off to jail? Do you want them to narrowly escape? Tell those invovled. That should make the rest of it go easier. Now it has come to my attention that some people actually want their character to do cool stuff! -Gasp- I know, shocking. So how does one do cool stuff without breaking any of the above rules? How can all players have their characters do cool stuff and have fun? Well it depends on the player. As I have mentioned before, I am not of the mentality that I should gimp my character "just because." I am a player that will be thinking strategically, and how I can win with the resources at my disposal. However, I am trying to be more open to... I guess downplaying that if it really bothers someone else. Like if it is brought up to me as/before a fight starts, I will be more open to it as opposed to in the middle of the fight my opponent decides that we should take turns beating eachother up. Otherwise, unless you are likewise playing to "win" a fight and trying to outsmart my character, and try to force me to "dumb down" my playing I will not be happy.

And by "playing to win" I am playing with the mindest of my character is trying to "win" as that is the most logical course of action. Why else would they be fighting? Clearly if it's worth fighting over, my character would be doing whatever they can to win. As a player I am open to not winning, which also means if it is for a plot I am open to losing. What you guys are looking for when fighting other characters is entirely on you guys. That is why I am putting emphasis on discussing with the other players what YOU want to do, and would like to see your character pull off. If they know before hand how you play, you can avoid egos getting hurt.

But above all else just remember that this is FOR FUN. It is only game. Why do you have to be mad? I know how I described my mentality with combat comes off as "tryhard" and doesn't sound like I'm open to writing an interesting story. But in my mind, it's not as interesting to read if both characters just keep exchanging blows without much consideration to either character's abilities. And it's more interesting to me as a player if I actually have to get into the mindest of the character I am playing, and trying to think of how they can "win" as opposed to how I as a player can win. It makes for a more interesting story if both characters are trying to win/avoid getting thrown in jail, as they woudl logically be trying to do! Which brings us back to emphasis on discussing your plans with those involved.

So that wraps up this insane rambling. I don't expect everyone to rp combat flawlessly even after this but I have been made more aware of how combat has been going, and how some of you play. I can only hope that this old crazy man's ramblings help you in the future Smile
Back to top Go down

A Megalomaniac's Guide to Combat
Page 1 of 1